Public invited to conversation on workforce and affordable housing
The Community Foundation of Western Nevada and Truckee Meadows Healthy Communities are hosting a community conversation about the need for workforce and affordable housing in Reno-Sparks this Thursday, April 13 from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Auditorium of Reno High School.
“In January and March of 2017, local leaders and housing experts gathered for a day of facilitated discussions led by Enterprise Community Partners to better understand the challenges facing the development of affordable housing in the Truckee Meadows region,” Chris Askin, President and CEO of the Community Foundation of Western Nevada said. “As a result, key barriers to housing development, as well as opportunities to support the expansion of workforce and affordable housing were identified. And now, we need additional input from residents to help identify our next steps. We invite all interested residents to join us.”
The community conversation, which is open to the public by making free reservations, will begin at 5:00 p.m. and be facilitated by Wendy Damonte, Renown Health Vice President of Advocacy and Community Partnerships.
- Bob Klein, President of Klein Financial, developer of thousands of multi-family housing units in the Bay Area
- Robin Kniech, Denver City Councilperson and leader in reshaping Denver’s plan for accommodating growth and housing for Denver’s workforce
- Dr. Derenda Schubert, Executive Director of Bridge Meadows, an intergenerational apartment community in Portland, Oregon
- Robert Nielson, local developer and affordable housing advocate and expert
- Connie Wright, Executive Director of Wells Fargo Housing Foundation which has granted $20 million for affordable housing.
Residents interested in attending can make a free reservation online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-conversation-on-workforce-housing-registration-32478122940.
Per the agreement, Caesars will continue to operate Harrah’s for the first half of 2020 before it’s redeveloped into a non-gaming hotel and mixed-use development.